Sunday, February 10, 2013

Revisiting Craft in America

While I've been working on gaining proficiency in peyote stitch and constructing my quilt top I have been watching the episodes of Craft in America online at the PBS Video site:  http://video.pbs.org/program/craft-in-america/ .


There are nine full-length episodes at the website link above that have appeared on PBS and that can be watched over and over; this page http://www.craftinamerica.org/tvseries/story_436.php?  offers links to details of each episode with even more information about each artist's work. For instance, in the Threads episode Therese Agnew describes the process of making a quilt entirely of designer labels from clothing; the "Education" link leads to a photograph of the piece, Portrait of a Textile Worker (2005) http://www.craftinamerica.org/education/story_2209.php .

Not only are these nine episodes of interviews with fine craftsmen educational but they are inspirational.  I find myself working more carefully on my current projects and grabbing my sketchbook more frequently to make notes about future projects.

Craft in America is documented on video and in a companion book; both resources are available directly from PBS:  http://www.shoppbs.org/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3854896&sr=1&origkw=craft%20in%20america or, of course, at other online video and book sources.

Whether you want company in your studio while you work or want to take a break from working and want to enjoy other craftsmen's work, I highly recommend that you take a look at Craft in America.

7 comments:

  1. What's up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this brilliant paragraph.
    hardwood floor refinishing

    Here is my weblog :: installing hardwood floors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos
    to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

    hardwood floor

    My web-site - hardwood floors
    My page - hardwood floor refinishing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings! I've been following your weblog for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!
    hardwood floors installation

    Also visit my web site ... installing hardwood floors

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this web page from my pal who told me on the topic of this web site and now this time I am visiting this website
    and reading very informative content at this time.


    Here is my blog - zetaclear reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?

    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any suggestions?

    Check out my web blog - provillus shampoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is invaluable. Where can I find out more?


    my blog post ... how to make cash today

    ReplyDelete
  7. Appreciation to my father who shared with me on the topic of this
    weblog, this web site is actually remarkable.


    my blog ... minecraft human

    ReplyDelete